In fact, the Mead, which did indeed precede the first Good Companion, is an exact duplicate of the much-loved 1930 second version of the Torpedo Modell 14, a variation which has a completely different, bulbous top plate and no collar.
These machines have no letter code with the serial number.
In 1919 Imperial produced Moya’s last machine, the Model D, which has a square keyboard.
Its serial number of S-14-1261 gives away its true origin.
Further confusion has been caused by Imperial’s early association with Torpedo in Frankfurt, Germany.
Remington & Sons, which that year had regained control of marketing the “Type Writer” from Fairbanks & Co.
For health reasons, in early 1920 Moya moved with his family to Pasadena, California, but in May that year, just after the birth of Jack, and once again a year later, he suffered strokes which left him partially paralysed down one side.
It also has a different style of shift-lock key and colour selector switch, and in some cases a tab key.
The first Good Companion has a swivel-jointed lever with a distinct upper curve – it also pushes inwards.
It has long been thought that the original Good Companion of 1932 was based on a Torpedo design.
This is only partly true, as the first Good Companion is a later English development of the original Torpedo Modell 14, an exact duplicate of which was made by the Imperial Typewriter Company in Leicester as the first Imperial four-bank portable in 1930.
These machines are indeed small and light, but with their large metal and later wooden cases they are, like the Blickensderfer in its oak case, hardly easy to carry about.